JohnnyBdaily

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What does Jesus say about Prayer?????

Good morning all! Yes, God is good all the time, all the time God is
good!!! Do you pray with sweet, slick, smooth words, or just words
straight from the heart?? What does Jesus say about prayer???? Let's
look at Luke 18:9-14.
"Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their
own righteousness and scorned everyone else; (10) Two men went to the
Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax
collector. (11) The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer:
'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else. For I
don't cheat, I don't sin, and I don't commit adultery. I'm certainly
not like that tax collector! (12)I fast twice a week,and I give you a
tenth of my income.'
(13) But the tax collector stood at a distanace and dared not even
lift his eyesto heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in
sorrow, saying, 'O God, be merciful to me,for I am a sinner.' (14) I
tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified
before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those
who humble themselves will be exalted.'"
What is the difference? The Pharisee did not go to the Temple to pray
to God, but to announce to all within hearing distance how good he
was. The tax collector went recognizing his sin and begging for
mercy.
Self-righteousness is dangerous. It leads to pride, causes a person
to despise others, and prevents him or her from learning anything from
God.
The tax collector's prayer should be our prayer because we all need
God's mercy every day. Don't let pride in our achievements cut you
off from God.
So, are you going to raise your hands to heaven and say oh Lord, here
I am, look how great?? OR.....are you going to beat your chest and
in sorrow say here I am a sinner, please forgive me???? The choice
is yours!!!! DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Thanks for reading. Love you all.
In Christ's Love and Grace
Johnny

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home