JohnnyBdaily

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Friend? OR.........acquaintance? Proverbs 18:24

Good morning all. God is good all the time, all the time God is good.  TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED!!!
   FRIEND!  May I call you friend; or would acquaintance be a better description?  The definition of an acquaintance is: a person whom one knows slightly; knowledge from personal experience.
Friend is: a person whom one knows well and is fond of; a supporter, an ally, a sympathizer.
   So, look around you and check.  Proverbs 18:24 24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
   Okay, here is the shocker when I was studying this.  In Hebrew the word - hithroea (a man of friends) is used which means to destroy or bring destruction.  Hmm!  What this is saying is one who lays himself out to make many "friends" good or bad, is walking on a road to destruction, to downfall.  These people will use him, exhaust his resources, but when calamity comes where are they?  No where to be found or they are too busy.
   It is not the number of "friends" that will be useful to you, but "there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."  And what, pray tell, does this mean?  A true friend is one who will stick close, listen, care, and offer help when it is needed--good times or bad times.  It is better to have 1 true friend than dozens, even hundreds of artificial or fair weather friends.  
   So, again I ask, are we friends or merely acquaintances? If I am in trouble can I call on you? Can you call on me? We have "friends" on facebook; we post something and get numerous "likes", but how real or how artificial is this?  Hmm! (he says scratching his chin).
   Proverbs 17: 17  A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity.
 Acquaintances could be called 'fair weather friends' meaning when all is going well they are around. When adversity strikes they are no where to be found.  I would like to think I am a true friend to you, however, when the chips are down----will I really be there?   Would you really be there for me?
   Yes, I know I have some friends that would be there for me.  After 66 years of life, I have many acquaintances.  Yes, I rejoice when I see them, but it is short lived for us both, then we return to our own little worlds of reality.  If you consider me a friend---I thank you and I hope and pray, that in turn, I will be that true friend to you.  Love you all.
   In Christ's Love and Grace
     Johnny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home