JohnnyBdaily

Friday, March 27, 2015

FAKER -- OR -- FAITHFUL?

God morning all! God is good all the time, all the time God is good.  TOO BLESSED TO BE STRESSED!!
  Have you just sat down recently and examined yourself and your heart?  I mean-- really examined yourself.  Growing up I attended the Methodist Church in my hometown and went to Sunday School and church almost every Sunday.  I even received several perfect attendance awards for Sunday School.  I went because.......well.....because mom said we would and took us.  Easy peasy, no questions asked.
   I went to Sunday school all the time, church was not as consistent, but we were there every Sunday.  My mom and dad held a tight rein on me so I was a good boy growing up.  Never got into trouble, did what I was supposed to do, and kept my nose clean.  Upon entering 8th grade, at that time in our church, it was time for confirmation classes.  To learn about the church and become members.  
    Well, I went, and the main reason I went was because my girl friend went.  My sole purpose was to be close to her, sit by her, and be with her.  What did I learn in confirmation class?  Well, nothing really.  My heart was not there, nor my interest, nor anything except her.
   I continued through high school, going to church, being a good boy, never getting into trouble.  Oh, yes, mom and dad had to squash me many, uh, MANY times, but never anything outside the home. I graduated high school, planned to be, as most young men then, a professional baseball player. Well, that did not happen, but what did happen was the military.
   After spending 4 years in the military, still being "good" and not getting in trouble with the law, I returned home to work before going to college.  Hang on----I'm getting there.  That summer, the summer of 1971 or 1974 (not sure anymore) they were building a new Christian Church at the end of main street.  I stopped and started visiting with the contractor there.  One of his first questions to me was: "are you a Christian?"  My answer was no, I am a Methodist.  I knew what he was asking and knew I did not have Jesus in my heart.  But, you know, fake it to make it!
   He explained and asked again; I lied and said yes.  I really did not.  However, I was, or thought I was really good at "FAKING IT" for others to see.  You see, I could not or would not want to "fail" because of pride; so, I lied.
    In 1974-76 one of my best friends, Alan Combs, shared interesting things from the Bible, little tid-bits that would grab your attention.  He never preached to me, but we visited a lot about the Bible. Alan was, in the 70's considered a "born again Christian" and I was not.  I was a live and well Faker. With Bill and Glory Gaither on the 8 track in the car, coming across Arizona with Alan I accepted Jesus Christ as my LORD and SAVIOR.  
   The spring of 1976 I quit "faking it" and started living for Christ.  Oh, yes, I have been in God's favor and out over the years; but the good thing is-----GOD IS FAITHFUL.  Twelve years ago, at age 54 I rededicated my life to Christ.  I was a faker for 27 years, then walked in and out of favor with God for 27 years before fully realizing eternal life and true freedom---freedom in Christ.
   I say all this to stimulate you and your relationship with God.  I was good for 27 years, then knew Christ 27 years but wandered, and now I intend to live out my life for Christ.  I pray at the end he will say as they did in Matthew 25:23
"His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."
  May you find the way and follow it and help others to find the way.  Matthew 7:14  "Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."
   Thank you for being with me this morning. May God bless you richly.  Love you all.
In Christ's Love and Grace
   Johnny
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home